MWLures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing with Mark White Lures

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Using Power Pro

Go down 
+3
localhawaii
MauiGuy
AllRatchet
7 posters
AuthorMessage
AllRatchet

AllRatchet

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Im pretty new to whipping in the day time usually go at night for menpachi but i use power pro on all my spinning reels and i was wondering if it would be better to run a leader set up to my lure instead of straight to the main line due to the visibilty of the power pro
Back to top Go down
MauiGuy

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:54 pm

That's a 10/4. Makes the line less visible and saves the PP from getting bust up on the coral. I use 10 lb P/P with a 20 lb Fluorocarbon leader and 20 lb P/P with a 30 lb Fluorocarbon leader. UNI to UNI knot to join them and enough leader to wind around the spool a few times.
Back to top Go down
localhawaii

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Mauiguy,

Do you have any issues with the uni uni knot getting caught up on the guides when casting/retrieving?
Back to top Go down
MauiGuy

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 5:55 pm

localhawaii Howzit, when I used to use a short leader (5 feet or so) and it did not wrap around the spool, I could hear the knot hit the top guide. Since I started making the leader 16 to 20 feet so it wraps around the spool, I have no problems, like it's not even there. I use a 6 turn uni to uni and pull it tight and small. My partner had that problem also, leader to short and the knot hanging on the guide, even breaking on cast. But he went with the long leader and now he is a lot happeir. He out catches me on small game and gives me the Razz
Back to top Go down
ktownwhipper

ktownwhipper

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 1:59 am

im a strait mono to lure guy myself but lately have been tryn a mono leader setup due to a recent hookup that had my red 1/2 oz barried in the throat and all teeth action on my 12lb maxima.ill be honest, i do want to try this power pro buisness.
Back to top Go down
MauiGuy

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:20 am

ktownwhipper wrote:
im a strait mono to lure guy myself but lately have been tryn a mono leader setup due to a recent hookup that had my red 1/2 oz barried in the throat and all teeth action on my 12lb maxima.ill be honest, i do want to try this power pro buisness.

P/P braid lets you put a lot more line on the spool. 20 lb P/P is the diameter of 8 lb mono. 10 lb P/P is like 6 lb mono. I use P/P and now starting to use Berkley Fireline braid. Fireline braid does not snap as easy as P/P on hard casts. But you gotta run a leader so the braid won't be visible or catch the reef. At the end of my leader I use the McMahon snap and a bearing swival, good for when the fish swallows the lure, it won't chomp down on your line, but on the snap and the McMahon snap will not open like Sampo snaps. Plus it is really easy to change lures, just open the snap and replace the lure.
Back to top Go down
AllRatchet

AllRatchet

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:54 am

right on for the info mauiguy I gotta get some leader line all I have is 10# and below and find me some of those swivels and what ktownwhipper are we gonna go ulua this weekend or what
Back to top Go down
localhawaii

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 12:54 pm

I had a good size kaku do a number on my 80lb fluorocarbon leader and thats after going past the mcmahon snap. It was so bad I had to cut and re-tie cause he went almost half way through.

On another note, have you guys ever tried using a sebile knot or using a PR bobbin to tie from the PP to mono/fluoro? I tied a sebile going from 30# pp to 30# fluoro but havent had anything big enough to feel it was battle tested. It flows through the guides really good!
Back to top Go down
MauiGuy

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 pm

L C, I checked out a few videos of tieing that knot. It looks like he is braiding the P/P unto the Mono by doing the over under winding. Can't see what will hold the P/P line onto the mono on a big hit. Gotta figure out how that works and try to tie it so I can pull the bugga and see if can handle the Tug Boat, I mean papio/ulua.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: gotta try that   Using Power Pro  EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Longer leaders that wrap the spool always freaked me out when the knot went through the guides. That was tried on my 100lb. rig. I will ck out the sebile knot and the PR bobbin to tie from the PP to mono/fluoro. I need some new techniques. Been doing the sameold for quite awhile. Thanks for your posts! m
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishinglureshawaii.com/
omilu

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 pm

For longer leaders that are cast through the guides, I've been using friction knots and have had pretty good success with them. I like to use the longest mono leader I can get away with to improve my ability to take rubbing and abrasion. I use 65 pound Tuff Line XP with an FG knot connection to 80 pound mono rub-line. I like to run the rub-line the length of the pole, from the reel to the tip guide. From there I use an Albright connection to 100 pound flourocarbon bite leader. I run this from the tip guide down to the stripper guide. I then tie off to a #3 Centro stainless steel swivel and connect to the lure with a #7 Owner Hyper Wire split ring. The split ring connection allows for good action on the lure and is a very small yet strong connection. A good pair of split ring pliers makes changing lures quick and easy. This set up gives me about 10' of heavy leader that really helps when the fish wants to take you into the rocks and pin you down.
Here's a link to tying the FG knot.
http://goodcatchfishing.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=33

Braided line with FG knot connection to 80 pound mono.
Using Power Pro  P1012313

80 pound mono with Albright connection to 100 pound flourocarbon and Centro swivel with #7 owner split ring connection to lure.
Using Power Pro  P1012314
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: excellent post!   Using Power Pro  EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:25 pm

omilu wrote:
For longer leaders that are cast through the guides, I've been using friction knots and have had pretty good success with them. I like to use the longest mono leader I can get away with to improve my ability to take rubbing and abrasion. I use 65 pound Tuff Line XP with an FG knot connection to 80 pound mono rub-line. I like to run the rub-line the length of the pole, from the reel to the tip guide. From there I use an Albright connection to 100 pound flourocarbon bite leader. I run this from the tip guide down to the stripper guide. I then tie off to a #3 Centro stainless steel swivel and connect to the lure with a #7 Owner Hyper Wire split ring. The split ring connection allows for good action on the lure and is a very small yet strong connection. A good pair of split ring pliers makes changing lures quick and easy. This set up gives me about 10' of heavy leader that really helps when the fish wants to take you into the rocks and pin you down.
Here's a link to tying the FG knot.
http://goodcatchfishing.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=33

Braided line with FG knot connection to 80 pound mono.
Using Power Pro  P1012313

80 pound mono with Albright connection to 100 pound flourocarbon and Centro swivel with #7 owner split ring connection to lure.
Using Power Pro  P1012314
how long does it take you to tie that knot?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishinglureshawaii.com/
ktownwhipper

ktownwhipper

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 2:24 pm

wow i like the snap ring better than the macmahon....im really going to go look now for some snap rings....what size swivel and ring would fit best on a 1/2 0z??
Back to top Go down
OahuGrown

OahuGrown

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:01 am

Alojahz!
I new to dis forum,just wonderin,wats another good knot to connect braid mainline wit mono leader udda den uni to uni?i tried dat knot and da thing get caught on da guides.
Majahloz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Using Power Pro  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Power Pro    Using Power Pro  Empty

Back to top Go down

Using Power Pro
Page 1 of 1