MWLures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing with Mark White Lures

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

This Sunday fish.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pecheur

This Sunday fish. Empty
PostSubject: This Sunday fish.   This Sunday fish. EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 7:41 am

Hi there,

This morning I went with two friends of mine, to one of my local land based spot.
Once again it is the black with red eyes lure which provided the fish.
Only a small Queenfish, but still a nice morning enjoying the sunset in a calm spot.

This time I was working the 1oz lure with the rod tip low so the lure stayed under water, but again as fast as I could. (Still experimenting with these lures).
I first missed a larger one which hit the lure but did not hook up, just made a big splash behind the lure.
My mate next to me said: Did you see that?!?!
For sure I saw it...
So I casted in the same direction and this time got this little one.
Must have been a school of them in the area.

This Sunday fish. Epq66111

And that was my only fish of the morning.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Back to top Go down
westkauaiboi

westkauaiboi

This Sunday fish. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This Sunday fish.   This Sunday fish. EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 8:43 am

That fish looks like a fish we got here in hawaii. We call it "lai" or leatherback. Some people use the skin to make trolling lures. I tried eating it once and the taste is not bad.
Back to top Go down
Pecheur

This Sunday fish. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This Sunday fish.   This Sunday fish. EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi Westkauaiboi,

Yes down here too some people call this fish Leatherskin, or Queenies, or Skinny.
The proper name is Scomberoides commersonnianus.
When hooked they jump all over the shop and are very exiting sport fish for land based anglers.

The flesh of it is very good, one of my favorite fish in fact, wich is why it is often my target of choice.
It is good to do numus with it. (Raw fish marinated in lemon juice then coco nuts cream, coriander, tomato, chillies and eat cold).
Or smoked or even grilled.

Here too, fish of this size are used as bait for shark or billfish fishing.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Back to top Go down
keale

This Sunday fish. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This Sunday fish.   This Sunday fish. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks for the video, saw it on the other thread...nice action on the Queenfish! Thats the kind of action we all hope to have over here! Only thing different is the fish, GT's or Jack Trevellys...
Back to top Go down
Pecheur

This Sunday fish. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This Sunday fish.   This Sunday fish. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Keale,

We do have some Trevally down here too.
Mostly GTs, TeaLeaf Trevally, Brassy Trevally, Golden Trevally and Diamon Trevally.

I like to eat them too, but most people down here do not eat them, and see them just as a sport fish at best and a nuisance in most cases... Few people fish for the deliberately.

Still, I prefer the flesh of the Queenfish.

Here is a little photo of my best one from the shore, it is what we call a Brassy Trevally, it was just over 8 kilos.
I was trying for Queenfish and this guy grabbed my chrome slice, I am yet to catch one on a MW lure.
Just waiting for it...
Wink
Got one not long ago, but he cut my line on some coral, just a few feet from me...

This Sunday fish. Ep_0310

I do know that the GTs grow much bigger, but they are real hard to land from the shore on medium to light tackle.
Usually down here, you get the big ones when out on a boat.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Back to top Go down
keale

This Sunday fish. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This Sunday fish.   This Sunday fish. EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:05 am

Dude, I would retire if I caught a Gt that size whipping from shore here in Hawaii! The big one's, I think are not that good eating also, but the small ones around 2-3 pounds are great pan fried!
It's quite the opposite here as that is the prefered "gamefish" over here!
Nice catch!
While I was in the U.S Navy I visited Austrailia, we stayed south of Perth, in a small town (so long ago)...met a local guy and fished for ????... it was light tackle from the beach, his wife cooked it up like "fish and chips", very delicious!
BTW, your country is beautiful!
Back to top Go down
Pecheur

This Sunday fish. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This Sunday fish.   This Sunday fish. EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi Keale,

No you would not retire...
You would become addicted...
Laughing

This one I smoked in my smoker and shared it with the family and a guy from work.
They are quite good like that.

Yes it is a Game fish in WA (Western Australia) too where they have some real big one over there.
But in here the NT they seem to be a bit smaller.

We often have US Navy boat making stop over or exercises with the Australian Navy in Darwin.

And yes the country is nice, but here people dream of Hawaii...
Wink

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

This Sunday fish. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This Sunday fish.   This Sunday fish. Empty

Back to top Go down

This Sunday fish.
Page 1 of 1