MWLures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing with Mark White Lures

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My gear picks

Go down 
+8
StephenOkelley
Lahaina808
HE>i
Pete_on_Maui
Uncle_Moki
manini master
localhawaii
Admin
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mw

My gear picks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:12 am

Lahaina808 wrote:
I threw the Daiwa in a pond yesterday, went the distance of the pond, which was about 25-30 yards across. Threw with a 1/2 oz egg leader rather than the lure (didn't want my first cast to go past the pond and hit some rocks). Going to go down to the beach tomorrow and throw in more realistic conditions.

They have a lighter version of the rod, I think it was rated 6-12 line and the lure weight was less (1/4-1 maybe?). Do you think this one will get more distance with the 1/2 oz lures? It's rated for low taper, but I've always used rods with a faster taper. Do you have a preference towards tapers of rods? Thanks!

Here are a few links: since I can't post links as a new member just remove the spaces in the www and it should work Smile

My current rod:
w w w.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=124&parentid=120

Lighter version:
w w w.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=214&parentid=120

Im aiming at 1/2 oz lures for papio up to around 5 lbs

Looks good to me, I'll have to get one myself and test it out. Mahalos for your r&d. Hmmmmm, I just realized that the specs are similar to my Cabela's trout rods. There are two line ratings. One is 8-15 and the other is 10-20. I use the lighter one with 1/4 oz. and the stiffer on up to 1 oz.
Back to top Go down
Lahaina808

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:30 am

Hey Mark,

Ended up selling the Daiwa Rod and upgraded to a 9'6" Shimano Clarus (lovin it). Went the next step and got 30# powerpro for my sienna 4000. When you mentioned the 1/2 oz rig setup, you stated:

EDIT: Realized the 1/2 oz. setup "double the braid" means using the bimini. I'm running 30# power pro and have 20 and 25# mono. Which would you recommend for tying uni-uni to the double 30# loop resulting from the bimini? I've never used fluoro, but like braid, I'm assuming lb for lb, fluoro is thinner than mono?

Didn't get any fluorocarbon, just about busted my budget on getting the new rod and power pro. Embarassed So I'm going give a mono leader a shot.

Thanks Mark!
Back to top Go down
StephenOkelley

StephenOkelley

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks for the response Mark!

As you explained, I researched a bit into the Bimini but still wonder what is the ultimate desired length?

Thanks!

Stephen in Oahu
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am

StephenOkelley wrote:
Thanks for the response Mark!

As you explained, I researched a bit into the Bimini but still wonder what is the ultimate desired length?

Thanks!

Stephen in Oahu
Mine were always about 3' max. You can make's longer if you can get a friend or something to clamp the start point with. I now use Hollow Core. Rub line to 20'. Ck it out.
Back to top Go down
StephenOkelley

StephenOkelley

PostSubject: No can Uni!   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:34 am

Tried doing the Uni to Uni but failed drastically. I think me and fluorocarbon don't work well as a team....

I have seen some comments about the Albright. What is take? Any other reliable knots after the Bimini?

Mahalo!
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 10:53 am

StephenOkelley wrote:
Tried doing the Uni to Uni but failed drastically. I think me and fluorocarbon don't work well as a team....

I have seen some comments about the Albright. What is take? Any other reliable knots after the Bimini?

Mahalo!
My mentor, Pat V, sometimes puts a ball bearing swivel with the leader already tied to the swivel on the loop of the Bimini. On the Uni-Uni, I use Visegrips and gloves to cinch the knots together. I also use 8 turns on the braid and 5-6 turns on the mono. Keep practicing it and it will get better.
Back to top Go down
StephenOkelley

StephenOkelley

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Interesting about the swivel technique. Might try it out. I did manage to get the Bimini twist to 3 ' by using a chair to hold the loop, used my toe to pull the up tension. The trick was just keeping the tension tight before locking the bimini.

I watch a YouTube video about the modified Albright against the Uni to Uni. It was a fishing show challenge and the modified Albright remained the champ. Needless to say, I still brought some spare line to work to practice!

Thanks Mark for being my mentor. I will report back hopefully with some pics from this weekends session!

God Bless! Stephen
Back to top Go down
bmkhi

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 12:47 am

New to da forum. First post.

Do you prefer ur main line clear or colored?
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 1:43 am

bmkhi wrote:
New to da forum. First post.

Do you prefer ur main line clear or colored?

I only use braid for all but my ultra lite fresh water rigs. Color is not a problem since I use Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader.
Back to top Go down
bmkhi

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 1:45 am

Thanks for the quick reply.
Back to top Go down
Killerb

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 10:09 am

Where can I find a Hawaiian Gold whipping pole?
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 12:51 am

Killerb wrote:
Where can I find a Hawaiian Gold whipping pole?
Not sure who has them these days. Call around and if they don't turn up try the Cabelas Trout & Salmon rods. I have 3 and love'm!
Back to top Go down
MASTERbaiter808

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 4:15 am

for your tiralejo set up what would be a cheaper alternative to the stella? i cant afford that reel...also i was told that you cant use mono with the tiralejo rod, is this true? or would it be okay to use?
Back to top Go down
MASTERbaiter808

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 4:22 am

also have you had any experience with the shimano ultegra surf reels? they look pretty sweet. let me know, thanks!... by the way, I quickly became a huge fan of your lures, they're amazing!!! gonna be buying an oama, jumpin jack, white, and yellow/green in the 3oz size once i get the new setup going and maybe a 5oz to try it out, cant wait!
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 10:26 am

MASTERbaiter808 wrote:
also have you had any experience with the shimano ultegra surf reels? they look pretty sweet. let me know, thanks!... by the way, I quickly became a huge fan of your lures, they're amazing!!! gonna be buying an oama, jumpin jack, white, and yellow/green in the 3oz size once i get the new setup going and maybe a 5oz to try it out, cant wait!

Thank you for your comments and questions. Mono should be fine on the Tiralejo. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Ultegra. Where will you be using my lures?
Back to top Go down
MASTERbaiter808

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 6:46 pm

mostly casting from rocks and small cliffs but also from beaches (I live on Maui). would a penn 750SSm be a good enough sized reel for the 10'6 tiralejo? If not i might try out the ultegra. Thanks for your help! in your opinion what would be the best/cheaper alternative to the stella you use with that setup?
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 7:07 pm

MASTERbaiter808 wrote:
mostly casting from rocks and small cliffs but also from beaches (I live on Maui). would a penn 750SSm be a good enough sized reel for the 10'6 tiralejo? If not i might try out the ultegra. Thanks for your help! in your opinion what would be the best/cheaper alternative to the stella you use with that setup?

The Stradic 8000 or the the Sargosa 10000
Back to top Go down
MASTERbaiter808

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 2:57 am

what would be your opinion on the penn750SSm with the tiralejo rod? to big or to small? or just overall not a good reel for the rod? I eventually am going to get a shimano reel but i am wondering if i could get away with running the penn and 20-25lb mono for now or if i should just fork out the extra money for the shimano reel as well?
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 10:22 am

MASTERbaiter808 wrote:
what would be your opinion on the penn750SSm with the tiralejo rod? to big or to small? or just overall not a good reel for the rod? I eventually am going to get a shimano reel but i am wondering if i could get away with running the penn and 20-25lb mono for now or if i should just fork out the extra money for the shimano reel as well?

Yes, should be quite good. I used to use both the 6500 and 8500
Back to top Go down
MASTERbaiter808

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 12:29 am

what would be your answer to whether or not i can use braided line on the 750SSm? I've been reading forums and some say it would be fine as long as its 50lb or more due to the thickness and as long as i have a mono backing. others say fireline works great, have you heard of it? i never have. I just want to maximize the amount of yards i have on the reel. please let me know what you think and suggest, thanks again! I really do appreciate your help.
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 12:34 am

MASTERbaiter808 wrote:
what would be your answer to whether or not i can use braided line on the 750SSm? I've been reading forums and some say it would be fine as long as its 50lb or more due to the thickness and as long as i have a mono backing. others say fireline works great, have you heard of it? i never have. I just want to maximize the amount of yards i have on the reel. please let me know what you think and suggest, thanks again! I really do appreciate your help.

My 6500 did not like PowerPro, early version, they may be ok now but be warned the older Penns were not braid friendly. I think Fireline would be better cause it's a bit wirery like mono. The guys I fished with in Indo used it with great success.
Back to top Go down
MASTERbaiter808

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 1:42 am

thanks for the feedback! i noticed fireline only goes up to a 30lb test? is it stronger than normal braid? idk if i would trust 30lb test if the big one decides to strike
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 2:14 am

MASTERbaiter808 wrote:
thanks for the feedback! i noticed fireline only goes up to a 30lb test? is it stronger than normal braid? idk if i would trust 30lb test if the big one decides to strike

Ya, that is a concern. The guys in Java had 50 that they got in Australia. I used the 30 and 20 a lot. Good line. You should try some of the new braids that Berkley makes and also Diawa boat braid.
Back to top Go down
MASTERbaiter808

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 2:25 am

you know of any good sites that carry those lines? maybe with free shipping or somewhat cheap to hawaii?
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 am

MASTERbaiter808 wrote:
you know of any good sites that carry those lines? maybe with free shipping or somewhat cheap to hawaii?

Try this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M50P1S4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My gear picks   My gear picks - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My gear picks
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next