MWLures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing with Mark White Lures

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mcmahon snaps - availability?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nahau

Mcmahon snaps - availability? Empty
PostSubject: Mcmahon snaps - availability?   Mcmahon snaps - availability? EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Hey Mark,
You mentioned in another thread (Oct 2010) that you might try to carry these snaps on your website. Still in the works? Any plans for them in the future?

Thanks!
nahau
Back to top Go down
nahau

PostSubject: Re: Mcmahon snaps - availability?   Mcmahon snaps - availability? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:50 am

I would have expected Mark to at least respond to this by now. I can hardly believe he missed the post, but perhaps he's just too busy.

First off, I refuse to pay $27 + approx $9 shipping for 12 of these snaps from Cabella's... no matter how good they're purported to be.

So, in light of that, this is what I did... I ordered a few Berkeley #7's off ebay ($7.95 + free ship for 8 snaps)... at the same time, I ordered 100 #2's directly from Rosco ($25 + $6 shipping). I compared the snaps and found that the #7 Berkleys are the same size and test (40lbs) as the Rosco #2's. Truthfully, the Rosco snaps looks to be manufactured better (the black finish is smoother). For all intents and purposes, they look to be exactly the same in form/function (and material), and for all I know, Rosco may be the actual manufacture for Berkley. Both don't come with a fancy ball bearing swivel however, but having fished all my life without them, I doubt it'll make too much difference if I just go with regular barrel swivels.

Note that although I haven't purchased any, Rosco also sells #3's rated at 80lbs that appear to be not much larger in size (according to the photo on their website)... http://www.roscoinc.com/mcrosco_scissor_snaps.html

By the way, Rosco must understand that the smaller sized snaps are not readily available on the internet or at retail locations. They had no problem selling 100 of the #2's to me. Now whether $31 for 100 snaps is a good deal, I really don't know. They did ship very quickly, and were very courteous so I feel I got a good deal... especially considering I couldn't find them anywhere else. You do have to order over the phone though.

In any case, I just wanted to pass this along to anyone interested.

Aloha!
Back to top Go down
meltorment

PostSubject: Re: Mcmahon snaps - availability?   Mcmahon snaps - availability? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:37 pm

aloha all! my first post here, and hopefully it proves to still be useful for some.

if anyone is still looking for mcmahon snaps on oahu, i happened across size #4 at nankos in kaneohe.
pricey at 5 bucks for 12 (or was it 10?), but i had no success ordering online from fishingtackledepot.biz

still hoping for my first hookup w/ the .5oz plug, otherwise.

Back to top Go down
el3te3

PostSubject: Mcmahon snaps - availability?   Mcmahon snaps - availability? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 am

Howzit...me, too, still pluggin' away (pardon the pun) with the 1/2 oz'ers. I did get 2 missed Papio strikes out on the west-side on Thurs....gettin' close. Anyways, I see that Bradah on his "Near shore" posts is using barrel swivels on his 1 & 1 1/2 oz'ers with awesome results. I've been tying mine directly to my leader with a Palomar knot but maybe I'll get better action with a barrel?....gonna try em this Thursday \m/
Back to top Go down
Bradahb

PostSubject: Re: Mcmahon snaps - availability?   Mcmahon snaps - availability? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:25 am

el3te3 wrote:
Howzit...me, too, still pluggin' away (pardon the pun) with the 1/2 oz'ers. I did get 2 missed Papio strikes out on the west-side on Thurs....gettin' close. Anyways, I see that Bradah on his "Near shore" posts is using barrel swivels on his 1 & 1 1/2 oz'ers with awesome results. I've been tying mine directly to my leader with a Palomar knot but maybe I'll get better action with a barrel?....gonna try em this Thursday \m/
Actually i using ball bearing swivels now not barrels.. I get better action with that..anyway i tried mac snaps and my b/b swivels tend to almost slide outta the snaps so thats why i dont use those no more.. In my favor split rings are best for my plugging style..
Back to top Go down
mw

PostSubject: Re: Mcmahon snaps - availability?   Mcmahon snaps - availability? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:00 pm

nahau wrote:
I would have expected Mark to at least respond to this by now. I can hardly believe he missed the post, but perhaps he's just too busy.

First off, I refuse to pay $27 + approx $9 shipping for 12 of these snaps from Cabella's... no matter how good they're purported to be.

So, in light of that, this is what I did... I ordered a few Berkeley #7's off ebay ($7.95 + free ship for 8 snaps)... at the same time, I ordered 100 #2's directly from Rosco ($25 + $6 shipping). I compared the snaps and found that the #7 Berkleys are the same size and test (40lbs) as the Rosco #2's. Truthfully, the Rosco snaps looks to be manufactured better (the black finish is smoother). For all intents and purposes, they look to be exactly the same in form/function (and material), and for all I know, Rosco may be the actual manufacture for Berkley. Both don't come with a fancy ball bearing swivel however, but having fished all my life without them, I doubt it'll make too much difference if I just go with regular barrel swivels.

Note that although I haven't purchased any, Rosco also sells #3's rated at 80lbs that appear to be not much larger in size (according to the photo on their website)... http://www.roscoinc.com/mcrosco_scissor_snaps.html

By the way, Rosco must understand that the smaller sized snaps are not readily available on the internet or at retail locations. They had no problem selling 100 of the #2's to me. Now whether $31 for 100 snaps is a good deal, I really don't know. They did ship very quickly, and were very courteous so I feel I got a good deal... especially considering I couldn't find them anywhere else. You do have to order over the phone though.

In any case, I just wanted to pass this along to anyone interested.

Aloha!

Sorry for missing this until now. Yes, been kinda busy. No excuse though as service is my 1st priority to my MWlures users. As stated above Macmahon snaps are too expensive these days. I have found a better system in my opinion. Using Owner ball beating swivels and Wolverine triple split rings. This is the most secure plus the best rotation of all the swivels I have tested. These as well as the best for the price split ring pliers will be available on my web site very soon. The price will be $2.00 and $15 for the pliersMcmahon snaps - availability? Swivel10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mcmahon snaps - availability?   Mcmahon snaps - availability? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mcmahon snaps - availability?
Page 1 of 1