MWLures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing with Mark White Lures

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What lure for lagoon bluefin trevally ?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alyinsanfran

What lure for lagoon bluefin trevally ? Empty
PostSubject: What lure for lagoon bluefin trevally ?   What lure for lagoon bluefin trevally ? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 4:02 pm

I go to Rarotonga for a month each year, and fish in the Muri lagoon, at Avana Passage. I've attached a couple of pics of the area, it's typical lagoon stuff.

Bluefins come in off the low tide, right into shin-deep water. Most of them I catch in a channel over near the vakas in the first pic. I get a few other species out on the flats in the second pic, but blues are my favourites as they reliably show up at the same time every day.

I do find them a little finicky though - they'll often follow a lure but not get excited. They run about 3-10lbs usually. I like to use a light spinning rod, with 6lb line. Sometimes I'll go to 15lb if barracuda show up on the flats.

Any tips on a MW lure to use?

What lure for lagoon bluefin trevally ? Img_0511

What lure for lagoon bluefin trevally ? Img_0512
Back to top Go down
mw

What lure for lagoon bluefin trevally ? Empty
PostSubject: Can I come for a visit? :)   What lure for lagoon bluefin trevally ? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 11:02 pm

I love fishing in flat water. I think 1/2 oz. or 1 oz. in any color should work for you. If your getting follows but no takers, you might try speeding the lure up. Especially if your getting a follower. They are used to their prey fleeing in a panic. So think like bait being chased. If you run out of water, keep the lure swimming in an attractive manner by doing figure 8's or any variation of that. Send us some more pix of your catches. Aloha, m
Back to top Go down

What lure for lagoon bluefin trevally ?
Page 1 of 1