Fishing with Mark White Lures
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

  how to turn a chaser into a taker?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 194
Join date : 2010-01-31
Age : 68
Location : Kauai, Hawaii

PostSubject: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:48 pm

I just got this question from a YouTube subscriber. "How to turn a chaser into a taker?" that's the reason I do the YouTubes. To get a chaser to become a taker. That is a great question. Main thought to keep in mind, I got this from Mike Sakamoto's book, when you get a chaser, speed up on your retrieve. Do Not slow down to give the fish a chance. If you run out of water, don't take the lure out and cast again. Instead, keep the lure swimming lively. Practice your "run out of water patterns often so it becomes instinctual. Tight lines and fast retrieves! m
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fishinglureshawaii.com/
Kevinea



Posts : 44
Join date : 2010-08-16
Location : Kauai, Hawaii

PostSubject: Re: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Hey Mark!
That sounds like a really good idea/plan! I just had a really nice size kaku come and chase my lure, it was a pretty stubborn one. I tried speeding up a little, and still wouldn't take it. I was in an awkward cliff-like situation, so I could really do the "run out of water" patterns. I just kept re-casting and he just kept chasing it.. Stubborn fish I tell you.

I know this technique will work, just not on that stubborn kaku! Rolling Eyes
Awesome advice!

And Mike Sakamoto is my idol when it comes to fishing! used to watch his show when ever they would air it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MauiGuy



Posts : 92
Join date : 2010-08-12
Age : 67
Location : Maui, Hawaii

PostSubject: Re: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:55 pm

I had that happen, I was about 25 - 30 feet above the water with a crystal clear ocean and watched a good size papio follow my MW lure right to the cliff face, so I just made left to right arcs with my pole to keep the lure moving and the fish watched it then swam away. I was like Mad What a beautiful sight it was thinking Alright, going hook up, but Evil or Very Mad Next time he will be bigger and more hungry, I hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kevinea



Posts : 44
Join date : 2010-08-16
Location : Kauai, Hawaii

PostSubject: Re: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:55 am

Haha, Funny story MauiGuy.
I hate when good sized fish just watch and chase your lures. Especially when they get excited and they really chase the lure and end up not even taking a bite at it. Sad

The next time we have our next encounter with them, I'm sure they'll be a little bigger and hungrier just like you said and they'll have to go for are lures! Very Happy
Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MauiGuy



Posts : 92
Join date : 2010-08-12
Age : 67
Location : Maui, Hawaii

PostSubject: Re: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:06 am

Kevinea wrote:
Haha, Funny story MauiGuy.
I hate when good sized fish just watch and chase your lures. Especially when they get excited and they really chase the lure and end up not even taking a bite at it. Sad

The next time we have our next encounter with them, I'm sure they'll be a little bigger and hungrier just like you said and they'll have to go for are lures! Very Happy
Cool
Next time he don't bite, I going jump off the cliff and bomb um, maybe he get knocked out from my big belly making tidal wave action. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard_O



Posts : 5
Join date : 2010-07-27
Location : Big Island Hawaii

PostSubject: Re: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:46 pm

ALoha Mark,

Thanks for the great advice. Yesterday morning i went whipping around Kawaihai Harbor. After about an hour saw a big splash behind my lure(white/black eyes) so sped up the retrieve then my lure just stopped in its tracks, then my reel started screaming then i started screaming HAHA. Whatever it was i couldnt get it to stick because it came off after 30 seconds of running. Although no fish landed i still had a great sesh and got my heart pounding. Best feeling ever.

Richard




Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 194
Join date : 2010-01-31
Age : 68
Location : Kauai, Hawaii

PostSubject: action   Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Richard_O wrote:
ALoha Mark,

Thanks for the great advice. Yesterday morning i went whipping around Kawaihai Harbor. After about an hour saw a big splash behind my lure(white/black eyes) so sped up the retrieve then my lure just stopped in its tracks, then my reel started screaming then i started screaming HAHA. Whatever it was i couldnt get it to stick because it came off after 30 seconds of running. Although no fish landed i still had a great sesh and got my heart pounding. Best feeling ever.

Richard




Way to go! 30 sec. is a long run! Good you got the lure back, a lot of guys don't when the hook up a screamer. Make sure your hooks are "sticky sharp!" I like the Ezelap hone & stone. Keep up the good action! m
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fishinglureshawaii.com/
Richard_O



Posts : 5
Join date : 2010-07-27
Location : Big Island Hawaii

PostSubject: Re: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:06 am




[/quote]Way to go! 30 sec. is a long run! Good you got the lure back, a lot of guys don't when the hook up a screamer. Make sure your hooks are "sticky sharp!" I like the Ezelap hone & stone. Keep up the good action! m[/quote]




Ooops sorry about that. It was a 30 second fight not run hehe. Thats like hooking up to a marlin or something from shore...which would be preposterous! Oh and by the way besides the hooks having to be sticky sharp, do you think that a stiffer rod would have more hook-up success over a light action rod? The reason I ask is because I sometimes get strikes that are screamers that take me to brink of a heart attack, then all of a sudden disappear. I whip 1/2 ozers with a 9' Nitro light-action rod. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mahalo,
Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kevinea



Posts : 44
Join date : 2010-08-16
Location : Kauai, Hawaii

PostSubject: Re: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:54 am

MauiGuy wrote:
Next time he don't bite, I going jump off the cliff and bomb um, maybe he get knocked out from my big belly making tidal wave action. lol!

Hahaha! That would be hilarious!!! People going ask you; "how come you had jump in the water?". Just show them da big fish and tell them was for that!!! Hahaha!! People all over the world would go Maui for watch you fish and learn the ways of the MauiGuy Bomb technique! cheers Hahaha!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MauiGuy



Posts : 92
Join date : 2010-08-12
Age : 67
Location : Maui, Hawaii

PostSubject: Re: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:26 am

Kevinea wrote:
MauiGuy wrote:
Next time he don't bite, I going jump off the cliff and bomb um, maybe he get knocked out from my big belly making tidal wave action. lol!

Hahaha! That would be hilarious!!! People going ask you; "how come you had jump in the water?". Just show them da big fish and tell them was for that!!! Hahaha!! People all over the world would go Maui for watch you fish and learn the ways of the MauiGuy Bomb technique! cheers Hahaha!

As what I going call fishing from now on...When my wife ask where you going, I going tell her I going Bomb Run.... cherry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: how to turn a chaser into a taker?   

Back to top Go down
 
how to turn a chaser into a taker?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Turn signal relocation.
» turn signal switch
» How can I turn more in my back swing?
» Turn one power steering pump.
» Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MWLures :: Lures for Deep Sea, Near Shore and Fresh Water :: Near Shore-
Jump to: